Sunday, June 01, 2014

IT’S NEVER TO LATE TO SAY HELLO!


As far as 50th reunions go, it was a smashing success. The food was fabulous, the DJ great, and the celebrants happy. The Sunset Harbour in East Patchogue had done a magnificent job, and my committee was very pleased.

People from the past came alive in my mind once again in their presence, shocking to see who they were under their skins from the pounding of old age, and some never left the looks they owned in high school. As for me, I was finally finding relief from worry: as now the only thing left to do was enjoy the day.

The centerpieces looked great, the hats were all distributed and the drinks were cheap, and I was ready to crash. Being the chair of the committee and having to take the fall if it died, my concern was not to disappoint the committee, who had worked so hard, and who worried like I did.

Of course my buddy Ken Geiger from the old days invited me out to dance to the hysterics of the group as we slide across the dance floor, wondering who was leading!

I tried to visit every table to thank them for coming and making the day a big success, having drawn laughs and one wild applaud for some of my statements in my opening speech to the class and guests.

And so, as I was saying goodbye, I came across one classmate, a nice lady who I didn’t realize was here and stopped, said ‘Hello’, then ‘Goodbye’! It was that kind of day!


1 comment:

Michele DePalo said...

I love the photo with the flowers and the hat! Can you email it to me?

(Why no photo of you and Ken on the dance floor?)