Wednesday, November 29, 2017

I WISH


Very often during the course of the week, I get phone solicitations from charities that support children. These are valuable charities as long as most of the donation goes to what is purportedly being supported.

There are a lot of charities that deserve support and we do support at times, but to support them all is difficult. I understand the need to solicit for funds to keep the causes alive, being I am part of such an organization myself.

Where do I draw the line and say: “No”? When I do say NO, a little part of me is disappointed and feeling guilty, but I am not The Carnegie Institute.

Years ago, back in 1981, my wife and I were in a monumental struggle, fighting the unknown to save our son’s life. Every day and every moment was consumed by this fight, keeping our son alive with the help of a hospital, doctors and nurses while traveling daily to the hospital to sit with a dying child.

Today, we continue fighting for another child, a child with disabilities and feeding us frustration and emotional pain that rests deep in our souls. Being she is disabled, we wonder what might have been, so I work for her benefit and the benefit of those like her being part of a board with the same agenda as I have.

So, when I get these calls for money and support, when I do turn them down, I realize, I have already given too much, I am still giving and will continue to do so, not all, but what I feel I can support monetarily and emotionally.

My wish? It is to quickly find a way to support all these organizations, either through the State or Federal funding, because they will affect all of us at one time or another, fearfully to our children or even grandchildren. We need to be prepared.

No comments: