Sunday, November 26, 2017

MEETING NEW PEOPLE


Many years ago, my grandparents settled in this country and made a life for themselves. They went out to the new world they entered and did what they had to do to survive and make their lives better.

Their lives are repeated it seems, generations later, with new players and a new stage. We had the pleasure to meet a beautiful family that comes from the Caribbean and speak with an accent, just like my grandparents did. They have hopes and dreams and work hard, just like my grandparents. They also raised good children who participate in the life of America. They seek nothing but peace, and so their heartfelt sincerity of ‘welcome to my home' was embraced and appreciated.

And, did I mention they did something else my grandparents did on Thanksgiving Day? They incorporated along with their turkey, their traditional festive dishes, they made it a true and traditional Thanksgiving Day, they married their old culture into a new one.

There were many things at the table beside the food. There was; joy, friendship, laughter, and most of all, love. We drank, ate and laughed like it is a natural thing to do.

I'm glad that my grandparent's tradition is still alive just with a different accent.

No comments: