Thursday, September 03, 2009

MOMMA TAKES OVER

The last minute instructions were issued, and we all piled into my car for the drive up to Purchase. #2 Son was leaving home, to live with his peers for a few years. Mom was seeing to it that the transition went smooth for him, and we assured, and then reassured him that all would be well.

The only problem was that #2 Son didn’t need any reassurance!

Armed with a dogged determination, and independent air, and my money, he was willing to let us ‘go’, and try to adjust with life without #2 Son. We would try, and not think about it.

As we drove up, the usual battle started to ensue, TLW (The Little Woman) was about to rage war with the woman in the GPS. Yes, the old foes were at it again. Not needing the GPS for navigation until we got to Purchase, I told TLW we would not need it. But the grudge she carries was too great for her, and turned it on.

As Ms. GPS told me to take the Throgs Neck Bridge, and I ignored it, TLW inquired why I was bypassing the bridge. I informed her that I was taking the Whitestone Bridge, which would be a better route. TLW was delighted that I was ignoring that ‘Bitch in the box” on the dashboard. If anyone was going to tell me where to go, it was going to be TLW, so there.

When we arrived at the campus, there was a lot of confusion, disorientation and missed turns, as the campus is large with a lot of small ancillary roads to confuse one even further. After Signing in and #2 Son receiving his key, we unpacked him in his dorm room. The place houses five men, and there are three bedrooms, a working kitchen, a dining and living room, and a lot of closet space.

To unpack #2 and settle him in took the leadership of TLW, who directed, ordered, instructed, and advised both #2 Son and me as to what to do. I wondered if it would be the last time the room would be that neat.

“Don’t you think this should go here?” intoned TLW.
“OK” responded #2 Son. (He would change it anyway, once we were gone.)
I just go along for the ride. I’m retired, so I don’t let things get in the way of serenity, anymore. TLW was in control!

We decided to go explore the campus, and found ourselves walking for miles, as we explored a very beautiful campus, even in the rain.

Then into the jaws of hell we went. Shopping!

Downtown, to a multi-level parking garage, and a congested area of traffic, stores and people, all crowding into one small space, was what we did! It made me miss Long Island!

Buying last minute supplies, like soda, toilet paper and plates and household goods, we braved the stores, climbed back into the car and let the ‘Bitch in the box’ guide us home. It seemed every time TLW opened her mouth, the ‘Bitch in the box’ interrupted her! This made TLW furious, and I had to calm her down, or we would be forever lost in the middle of Westchester County.

Finally, we settled #2 Son in his residence and made our farewells. We didn’t want to leave, but after a good seven hours, we were beat, and said our goodbyes, not only to #2 Son, but to an era!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwww... I remember those days for both my children. That was hard. Then after about 4 hours, I started to adjust...the house was neater, cleaner, things were exactly where I left them... I loved missing them. lol

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Very funny... TRUE, but funny!

Anonymous said...

Bitter-sweet........why the hell does everything have to be bitter-sweet? It seems there's always a catch, a trade-off, a down-side to these big moments.

SS-I-L