Saturday, April 28, 2018

WE ARE INCLINED TO RECLINE

As ‘old-timers' both my wife and I both like to take it easy in our own chair. Both of us have recliners, both not only recline but rock as well!

My chair is newer than my wife's, hers dates back to 2006.

Yesterday I sat in her chair while I was looking through some papers and as I went to reach for something on a table next to her I almost fell over! The chair is coming apart, so, I decided to get her a new chair for Mother's Day from my daughter Ellen. I save money for just such occasions and this was an occasion.

"Toots, how about a new recliner for Mother's Day? I sat in that thing yesterday and almost fell out of it!"

So, off we go shopping for a new recliner, and as our mantra is: "We are only looking, not buying today!" we bought one.

Recliners like TV's and cars can change from year to year. They can accommodate chargers for your phone or places to place a glass of wine. As we walked through the showroom of furnishings, we were intercepted like enemy bombers on their way to Washington DC by a nice middle-aged woman. Interrogating us, she leads us to the recliners area to begin her sales pitch.  Showing us one model, TLW (The Little Woman) tries it out.

"Now remember, it has to be comfortable, YOU have to like it!" Reaching for the handle she complains that the handle to recline is tt low. I look at the saleswoman and ask: "Do you have an automatic instead of a standard shift?" She bats her eyes looking down and with a disappointing face says: "Noooooo!'

So much for modern technology in this baby!

No comments: