Sunday, August 13, 2006

DRESSING DOWN

Yesterday #2 Son went to a party for some little girlfriend of his. As he was leaving I thought how strange everything is becoming. He took a shower, and then dressed like he was going into the mountains of Columbia to wage a revolution. Even his hat made him look like Fidel, minus the cigar and beard.

When I was his age I always dressed with pressed and starched clothing. My pants had a crease, and my shirt was always ironed and above all clean. I looked very nice and thought nothing of it as I entered the party. I took it for granted I wanted to stay, and that no one would throw me out for looking like a bum.

Today everything is now easier and less complicated on the social scene. Even at work it is becoming very casual. I envy that, since for years I wore ties and jackets or suits always uncomfortable and weary that I would spill something on my suit or tie. You spill something on yourself today, and it adds to the charm. Red stains on a white shirt today mean red accessories, mud on the shoes means look for more mud.

Kids come into my house and almost none of them say “Hello” or introduce themselves. Some are even helping themselves to something to eat! I guess casual has its’ rewards. I have been keeping track of who my kid is so if I’m hit up for money I know how much interest to charge. (Family members always get a lower rate.)

I can remember when my Mother sent me to church on Sunday, dressed like I was going for a job, suit and tie with polished shoes. Today you can mistakenly give money to what you thought was a derelict who five minutes later, is saying the Mass! Yes, even the priest dress like bums. The nuns have shed their habits (dress wise, they are still mean to me.) I can remember when you got on a plane to fly off somewhere or even the LIRR to visit someone: you always dressed up.

Well, I guess I’ll brush off my sneakers, I have a wedding to go to.

No comments: