Sunday, August 27, 2006

WILL THE REAL RUDY BEGONIA PLEASE STAND UP

Last night was a surprise party for my first niece Laurie Ann, the one I consider special. She and I grew up together in our roles as uncle and niece. While I was recuperating from a car accident on late afternoons, we would sit together in front of the big color Magnavox TV and watch Sesame Street and the Electric Company, Her Mother would be downstairs yakking with Nana and I would entertain the sweetest little girl born to that date. We learned to count and say our alphabet, and let’s face it, without Laurie Ann, I would have never learned.

Her name alone would tell you how sweet she still is, it has a magical, melodic quality to it, and in my mind there is only ONE Laurie Ann. No one else should have that name. She made me special being her uncle. I had a new title, and took it seriously. Those big dark eyes and constant smile, her quiet mild disposition have transcended the years and keep my world steady every time I see her. Laurie Ann has always been “There” for everyone that needed comforting; she is a great niece, daughter, granddaughter, wife and mother. She has a beautiful family and and great husband who is full of life named Gerard. If I were to pick out a husband for my niece, it would be Gerard. She has two great kids (See Thursday, July 06, 2006 HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVEN!)

When I heard that my sister was pregnant, I thought that after all these years of girls in my life (four sisters) finally a boy! I didn’t think my brother-in-law would drop the ball because I could rely on him. Off I went to Patchogue to Grants and bought a set of HO gauge electric trains for my new nephew. Being how this was before my accident, I had to go to NYC to view a cinema called “The Red Desert” directed by Antonio Antonini at the Beekman Theatre. After the movie I took the train home to Patchogue and met my Dad at his place of business for a ride home. He told me that my sister Theresa had a girl! I was stunned by the curse of sisters, feeling like a Red Sox fan looking for his first World Series. I composed myself and went home. Then I went to the hospital to hear my Brother in law say: “It takes a man to have a girl” I thought about that for a while and though, just like Dad, he’s making excuses. Of course I found out later that what he said was indeed true when the Little Woman had my first child!

Once while I was still in a cast, I went to visit my aunt with my sister and mother and sat in the back seat of my sister’s car with Laurie. Poor Laurie was not at her best that day and was crying. I tried everything I could to keep her from crying, she would stop, look at me and cry again, Finally I made my voice deep and said: “Will the real Rudy Begonia please stand up.” Well not only did she stop, but she even laughed! For the rest of the trip that’s all she did whenever I said: “Will the real Rudy Begonia please stand up.”

Her birthday isn’t until September 17, but
Happy Birthday Laurie Ann, we all love you as you could tell last night.

No comments: