Thursday, March 15, 2007

COMMUNICATING WITH THE GREAT BEYOND

I am usually a good judge of people. I can tell when someone is sincere or not, happy or sad, sick or ailing.

Last September I met this couple at Duke University at a wedding reception, we sat at the same table and chatted a bit as we learned some interesting things we had in common. I gave them some information and my phone number to get back to me about an issue they had that I could help them with.

Today the lady got in touch with me as a follow-up, and as we talked she gave me her last name, and when she did I remember hearing that name once before in my past, and knew where I had heard it from. After asking some key questions, I realized that she was my older sister’s boss from the early 60’s, and although she did not remember my sister she confirmed all that I knew to be true about her.

Eagerly I called my sister to tell her the news that I had spoken to her old boss who she hadn’t seen in over 40 years. The phone rang at her house and with caller ID asked me what the hell I wanted.

I mentioned the woman’s name and she said: “Oh, she’s dead.”

“Come again?” said I. “Yes she’s dead.” I asked her how that could be, since I had sat with the woman in September and just spoke to her a few hours earlier! My sister then said that since the conversation was going nowhere, we should change the subject. “OK” I said and promised not to tell her when I meet dead people, that I would keep it to myself.

Now I don’t know any dead people who go to weddings, and use the phone, but I’m glad they don’t tell me when they are dead, and that they don’t appear in some dark room when they want to speak with me.

To think: I used to be able to tell when a person was dead or alive, and if they were faking either one.

Weight loss count is now at 6% of my original body weight!

Tomorrow: The big review!

No comments: