Wednesday, March 28, 2007

EVERYBODY LOVES CRASS

I’ve enjoyed certain TV shows through the years. Love and Marriage, All In The Family, Mash, Seinfeld, Everybody loves Raymond, Desperate Housewives, Two And A Half Men and Boston Legal are right at the top of my list.

What these shows have in common is good character development; good scripts, and for the most part are not just flippant one-liners that solicit laughter from a laugh track or as they say “Canned laughter.”

Most of these shows have at least some kind of mean streak in them that make it funny to watch. Characters or philosophies that run against the norm are what good comedy is all about.

TLW (The Little Woman) does not always agree with my selection of what I think is funny. She hates Love & Marriage, I love it, and although she has a point of view I understand, I think her reason may be unreasonable to some extent.

TLW does not like some shows because the characters are self centered and mean jerks. THAT IS WHY I LOVE THEM! If they weren’t showing all of the good qualities, I find it interesting. What good is Monk, without a murderer? Why would I laugh at Newman in Seinfeld if he were nice?

Yet TLW loves Two and a Half Men! Yes, the one show that meanest is the underlining factor. Sons hate their Mother, hate each other, kid hates adults, house help really runs the place-meanest.

Being married now for 36 years, I have learned that whatever she says goes. (In one ear and out the other, unobstructed) As far as I’m concerned when it comes to comedy, mean is keen.

No comments: