Tuesday, March 13, 2007

THE OLD MOVIES

I decided that being how I am retired, and can do what I want, that I’d catch up on all the old classic movies that I have heard so much about but never viewed. Number one on my list was: “Casablanca” starring Bogart and Bergman with Peter Lorre, Claude Raines and Sydney Greenstreet.

When I took the movie out from the Library, the lady who checked it out for me said it was her favorite movie of all time. This was a lady in her late forties or early fifties, which surprised me since the movie itself is so old! 1942.

The thing that impressed me most about the movie is how woven some of the lines are in our culture today, some of the phrasing that we use and hear, that I never realized came from Casablanca.

I guess classics become classics not from age, but from ageless lines that live on forever. “Play it again Sam” I thought is sometimes attributed to Bogart, but it wasn’t, it was Bergman!

The movie received 3 Oscars, yet it was a movie that was turned out in one week! When they started filming the picture, the writers had no ending, yet the ending leaves us with a great line immortalized by Bogart, and used over and over again.

So I leave you with this:
See the movie if you haven’t, and it will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. And it will round up the usual suspects.

So, here’s are looking at you, Blogger readers.

No comments: