Thursday, January 14, 2010

THE DEPARTMENT OF REDUNDANCY DEPARTMENT


Being how I am a professionally retired person, it gives me license to be cranky, crotchety, and ornery. These are now the traits I admire in people!

While dressing this morning, I had the news on TV and there was a commercial coming up, and the TV newsman said: “After the break, a report about a really bad accident that occurred in Suffolk County.”

Last year I was sitting in an office discussing business with two partners. They were talking up a storm about what their services included, except the partner was yawning frequently. Afterward, I mentioned to the other guy that: I found his partner offensive, and said that if he was going to yawn, he should have stayed away. His partner responded: “Please excuse him, he is going through a really bad divorce.”

And then there is the time when I was speaking to a fellow board person, and she wanted to eat lunch soon, stating she was really hungry. I responded: “Really?”

What is it with all of us? We tend to abuse words in the worse way possible. We are all included in this, yours truly is no exception.

Really!

Can we have an insincere accident? We can have a good accident! A really bad divorce? I would think a divorce is enough, a bad divorce seems extreme, and a really bad divorce seems incredible! A really good divorce must be when the lawyer sends out his bill.

Really hungry? And I’ve seen and heard this used in advertising, suggests that you can be in different degrees of hunger, such as: really hungry as opposed to insincerely hungry.

Fortunately, I really don’t have all day to really write about this.

Really.

Boy, what a pain in the butt I am!

No comments: