Saturday, January 09, 2010

TRADITIONS DIE HARD!


Now that the holidays are over, I get a chance to complain about them. It seems to me we as a people are too self-centered in our views.

TLW (The Little Woman) came home one evening complaining about how some of the members of the Wanna-Be Bank and Truss Company had issues with the establishment’s decorations for the holidays. Now, holiday’s means Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years. It does not mean Hanukkah only, it does not mean Christmas only, and it means both!

It seems that the members whine about where the Nativity is placed in juxtaposition to the Menorah, and the opposite. The wanna-be bankers try to accommodate the complainers, but that is a losing battle. It seems you can’t even put up a Nativity scene or a Menorah without offending someone! Since when did public space become solely a Christian or Jewish right? Why can’t a religion have a place in public to celebrate a beautiful thing like Hanukkah or Christmas? A period of love and joy should not be denied to people. If your religion needs to be showcased prominently, then you are losing the point of it all. Why can’t a Jew or Christian wish a fellow worshiper a Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah? I could understand if it stood for murder or meant death to someone, but it is a good, sweet, honest wish of a season. CHRISTIANITY EVOLVED FROM JUDAISM! Jesus was a Jew! Why NOT cover ALL the bases?

Then I got an email from a neighbor of mine who chastised me for not using ‘Christmas’ in my wishes for the Holiday Season in an email I sent out! He then went on to boast how he complained to his bank, (The Wanna-be Bank and Truss Company) how the Nativity scene needed to be more prominent. Apparently, the Wanna-Be bank accommodated his wishes, and this made him happy.

If I sound cranky during the "Holiday Season” you can understand why, now. Come on people, isn’t there enough acrimony in this world without messing up the Holidays, too?

I responded to my neighbor, telling him that I sent the email out to all on this particular list, that some of the people were celebrating Hanukkah, and NOT Christmas!

I wonder if he would be offended if someone wished him a Happy Hanukkah? Does he not offend someone by making his Christmas wish a blanket one?

How self-centered and righteous are we all?

Happy Belated birthdays to: my lovely niece Sara, and my brother-in-law Dennis.
Sorry I was late, but here goes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HEW. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HEWWW. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SARA AND DENNIS, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HEWWWWW! YEA!

4 comments:

THERESA said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH, SO SORRY THIS IS SO LATE, IT'S UNCLE JOE,S FAULT! HOPE IT WAS A GREAT DAY. LOVE, AUNT THERESA AND UNCLE JOHN

THERESA said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DENNIS, BEST WISHES, FROM JO-JO'S YOUNGER SISTER,THERESA

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Honestly, I agree 100%! I wouldn't be offended if someone wished me a Happy Anything! Obviously poeple who complain like this have no real problems to worry about!

When is Hanukkah? said...

I always go for a neutral Happy Holidays card for general contacts, but send specific cards for people I know are celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah. I never understand the fuss about holiday greetings. 'Tis the season!