Tuesday, January 26, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HEWWW!


Since I chair the Bellport High School Class of ’64, I think I shall single out one of the committee members for a special feat! That being her birthday today, and the fact that she is an amazing gal!

Pam is a very dignified lady who has shown a lot of class since I last saw her 45 years ago. In those 45 years, a lot of sorrow has taken hold of her life, yet she seems to exude charm and character, and not wear it on her sleeve. She lost a husband and a son, but she demonstrates that life does indeed go on. That life needs her, and she needs it. There is no “poor me” attitude from her, just a business like attitude that can catch you off guard when she says something funny.

We were an item in 4th grade. But they (The school system) shipped me out to a different schoolhouse in 5th grade, and we never really mixed again. Childhood romances are just that, childhood romances, sweet, innocent, and brief.

There are people in this world I admire, people like TLW (The Little Woman), family and friends, and Pam fits in that category. If anything comes from the class reunion, it will be the great sense of happiness I feel in the reconnection I have with my classmates. The committee alone is worth all the work.

So Pam, I can’t undo the grief, you have done it yourself in a way. I can’t express how sorry I am that 45 years has elapsed in our friendship, but your openness and honesty, your good cheer and great humor, helps heal that pain, and encourages me to reconnect with the whole group.

Thanks and Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

Bob Roush said...

I second what Joe so elegantly said! Happy Birthday Pam!