Sunday, January 03, 2010

WE MAY HAVE TO TALK TO EACH OTHER!


TLW (The Little Woman) and me have certain tastes that define us. When It comes to
books she has a preference for girly love stories with some kind of mayhem, (I am worried about the notebook), and I like biographies, stories about sports figures and military heroes, politicians and people who make a difference in life. Our food choices are close, but our politics are not always on the same track. When it comes to TV, she again likes murder mysteries, with some kind of science behind it, like forensics or some other twist, while I like sports and occasionally a mystery. We both love movies, but I tend to go for the old ones, in black and white. TLW knows all the movie stars and motion pictures, and I don’t.

Recently I was in the kitchen ‘shopping’ in the refrigerator, when I heard a cry come out of the den. Being a really good husband, I immediately made a note to investigate after I closed the refrigerator door. Entering the den, there sat TLW, a frown on her face, as she informed me that: the channel that does the home refurbishing and decorating HGTV and the Food Network channel would no longer be televised by my cable company! A dispute was keeping the two from making nice. I immediately sat in my chair to allow it to sink in.

The thought that I would no longer see Tyler, and Paula, and Guy, not to mention Mario and Giada made me nuts. Not only that, but now, when there was “Nothing on”, as TLW says, she would direct her attention toward me, in the middle of a drive down field, or a hit and run situation. This indeed WAS a serious situation!


Me: “What are we going to do?”
TLW: “I don’t know about you, but I’m going to put on my pajamas and get comfortable.”
Me: “Is there anyplace we can get help?”
TLW: “Well, let’s see… we could go to the store and get two magazines, one on home repair and one on cooking.”

There was a pause in the rhyme and rhythm of the conversation. I finally broke the impasse.

“Who should go out?”

There was a pause, a long one. Then…

TLW: “Hand me the remote.”

With the remote in hand, TLW promptly feel asleep, the channels flying by me with her hand welded to the channel button.

No comments: