Saturday, January 23, 2010

WHERE HAVE I GONE?



Now that the high school reunion is in full throttle, on its way to becoming an event, I am starting to feel the effects of the long years gone by. I am saddened that I never kept up the contacts of these wonderful people that constituted my graduating class.

One of the reasons I feel this was is that many feel like they could be my sisters and brothers in a way. And like my sisters, their pain would have been my pain, and it would have been my time to comfort them as they may have comforted me.

Pain is sorrow with a caveat: that being the closeness one feels with others.

On the committee there is a friend that worked in the same field as me, and I could have helped that career go further. To that person I say: “I’m sorry.” Another person speaks with such emotion, that it is all heart felt and real. I love that in people, I understand best their hearts. One committee member I remember from my days in high school as always being kind, considerate and friendly, she comes to my house for a meeting, and she brings her kindness in the form of cookies! How did I ever discard that friendship? One travels from New Jersey, because she values friendship, old and renewed! She is a beautiful person who knows the real work of God. One is a retired schoolteacher, who sits and listens, the best lesson I ever learned. What else could I have learned from that? How much better off would I have been with knowing that person? One is a workhorse! Working unceasingly to bring in the names and addresses we need. When I was down over the years like we all were at one point or another, I wonder if I would not have been down so much, if that person had been there with a helping hand? Finally, there is one committee member who I can only say exudes grace and charm. Having suffered great sadness in her personal life, has demonstrated that life goes on. I let that person down, when I was needed most! Again I must say: “I’m sorry.”

I am looking forward to better days, now that we are all reconnecting. I think that it best spells out the fact that as humans, we do indeed need each other. I know I need friendships: I tend to get caught up in the everyday details of life, and loose sight of the fact that there are some truly wonderful people out there! Not only is there family, there is old jobs, college, TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) friends, the hood, just about everywhere I look!

I created a blogue for the reunion, and I think I will keep it going, long after the reunion!

No comments: