Saturday, March 06, 2010

TLW AND THREE-CARD MONTE



TLW (The Little Woman) is many things: one thing she is not is a crook. However…

We sat in the restaurant talking about our schedules for the week. I mentioned that I had to take the dog to the groomers and she said:

“Oh, that reminds me, let me give you the money for her. Do you have two ten dollar bills?”

“Hummm, let me see.. I have only one ten.” The sweat is beginning to form on my brow.”

“OK, Give me the ten and I’ll give you $50.”

“But the groomer costs $45!”

“So you are ahead by five!”

“Wait a minute, I’m out $5!

“No you are not. Here, give me back the $45, and I’ll give you $60. Now give me back another $10, and we are even!”

I think about this one.

Now I’m still out $5!”

“No, you were ahead $5, and with this transaction you are still ahead, with another $5, so that makes up for the $10!”

“No, wait… I gave you ten and you gave me.”

“Here, let me figure it out.”

She takes out her pad and starts to figure like she is at the Wanna-Be Bank and Truss Co.”

She takes back all the money and says: “Here is $45 OK?

I put my $10 back and say: “OK”

To think her parents paid tuition for that kind of math!

I guess it was better than a stick-up. If it were, I would have insisted she do it right, with a mask!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Pat who works with TLW
at the Wanna Be Bank and Truss Co.
I see nothing wrong with her math.
It sounds logical to me.