Monday, March 22, 2010

SOMETIMES I JUST GIVE UP!


I have been on the eternal diet since I was about 40. It seems I gained a lot of weight through the years and now it reminds me constantly.

Lately TLW (The Little Woman), at my insistence, and her gleeful agreement, have resorted to eating those little Weight Watcher’s meals, that come in the little plastic dishes, covered in a glassine wrap that you pop into the microwave.

They really don’t taste bad, and with a good home made salad, you can walk away from the table feeling somewhat satisfied.

However…

I am so darn tired of eating out of those trays, eating like I am on k-rations, or concentration portions! I remember when dinner was a sacred meal. I guess I was praying too hard then! But I need a break.

I keep having this vision of chicken breasts grilled in any citrus like combination with olive oil and crusty Italian bread. It will have to have some red onion, a little lettuce, or radicchio on top.

I feel I have to reward myself for being good occasionally, and if I don’t, I won’t go back to the skimpy Weight Watcher meals! I don’t snack: we eat these stupid 100-calorie cookies at night with about 2 ounces of milk. Pathetic! Hey, I’m Italian: I need a good sandwich once in a while. We don’t even eat pasta much. In fact, I think I’ll make some home-made pasta this weekend, and the hell with diets!

5 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Our heritage and the skill of our people in inventing mouth-watering dishes out of nothing is both our blessing and our curse. I'm not ashamed to say it...I live to eat. We do the Lean Cuisine thing too with a side salad, and while it will keep you alive, once in a while you have to feed your soul. It's still OK to eat real food, just watch the portions, goombah.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

By the way Jim, I have a restaurant picked out for our neighborhood reunion, closer to you this time, when we meet on birthday week!

Jim Pantaleno said...

Great, we are looking forward to it. There's a lot to catch up on.

Fran said...

I say eat! Mangia, mangia, mangia! Soon you are going to find out that those little meals are not good for you. Think of all those great meals you will have missed. Keep eating the real thing, but watch your portions. I think you will be happier and fuller!!!!

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Sigh I feel your pain. I eat those meals for lunch every day and when I say there's not a scrap left I mean it...I get every little square of carrot and every grain of rice. They are pretty tasty, but I am hungry and hour later. The never-ending battle.