Saturday, January 22, 2011

GETTING GASSED


I decided to get some gas this morning, and discovered that not only are the drivers on the road crazy, they are nuts too, and America is getting dumber!

If I sound redundant, it’s because I find the two distinctly different. Crazy for the way they drive, and nuts to want to pay all that money to the gas station to fill their big old SUV. I have a SUV that I plan to get rid of. I hate the car, and the car hates me. It is not expensive to drive, and up until recently, when after 6 years of taking it in every 3,000 miles for oil, lube and what-nots (the what-nots cost a lot!), it had a fit one night on the Sunrise highway and croaked! Still it was only a 4 cylinder, and wasn’t all that bad to fill up. I used to love the car, while it was lasting, and while it was driveable.

It seems that people are not afraid to drive while distracted! As I was taking my wife’s car home from the auto-body repair shop, some idiot ran the stop sign and almost crashed into me! Yes, right out of the repair shop and going home! I see people going down my street like it is a speedway, way over a sensible limit, and on a cell-phone to boot!

We are repeatedly warned that the price of gasoline is strangling America, that we should be looking at small cars, with sensible gas mileage, but the cars are getting bigger and bigger. So I decided to put my money where my big mouth is, on a Prius. Yes, a car like the Prius is the answer to the problem of oil embargos, rising gas pump prices, and wasteful consumption of precious fuel, that will drop us in a third world status, while the camel jockeys from the Middle East live the luxury life, thank you USA.

Now for the dilemma: the Prius is a Japanese car, and so I will be a member of a third world nation anyway, while the Japanese will live the life of luxury.

If you can see where I’m going with this, tell the rest of us. America has to be a little more inventive, creative, and meaningful. A Stealth bomber will NOT keep us from being a third world country, it will get us there quicker.

No comments: