Sunday, January 02, 2011

IT WAS A COLD AND SNOWY NIGHT…


When all of a sudden: my car dies on Sunrise Highway! My 60,000-mile Hundai Sante Fe craps out on me!

It is the night before Christmas Eve, and if I hadn’t rescheduled a meeting that day planned for 5:30 pm, I would have been not only unhappy, by miserable.

At 3:30 that afternoon, heading home for the holidays, on the fast lane of the Sunrise Highway westbound side, I suddenly lose power, and have to try to steer off to the side of the road, while losing not only power, but my steering too!

Fortunately, my phone had some power and I called AAA for help. The lady tells me that someone from a repair shop will call me within 15 minutes. 20 minutes pass and no call, but as I look in my rear-view mirror, I see a tow truck about to cross the median to my side. I get hauled to a service shop in Mastic on William Floyd Highway and am told that I blew a piston! A car that I religiously take in every 3,000 miles for service blows a piston! I now need to get home, and have to rent a car.

I go to Enterprise get a car and the guy tells me that I should have enough gas to get home. So off I drive and almost immediately, the gas warning light goes off! That means I have to find a gas station just to get home!

So Merry ‘Freaking’ Christmas, I have to replace the engine!

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

same exact thing happened to me with my sonata about 5 years ago. But it was jsut the alternator. If you haven't already, I would get another opinion before shelling out for another whole engine.