Tuesday, January 04, 2011

NOW THAT’S THE TICKET!


This Christmas, one of my sons, #1 (Anthony), gave me the surprise present of the year! Being how he is, he is always thinking of great gifts for his old man. For the gifts I get, he should be getting a better old man, or at least one more worthy of the gifts.

One year it was Brooklyn Dodger memorabilia, another year round trip tickets to California to visit him, and this year: a wonderful daughter-in-law and New York Jets football tickets to the last game of the season! With free parking!

If you don’t know, that is a very, VERY nice gift! He is going with me, and we will after the game, go into the city and have dinner at a great restaurant. I took him to that restaurant after Knick games as a little guy.

The funny thing is the best gift he ever gave me didn’t cost him a dime. I still have it, and often think about the gift when it is not in use. That gift is of course: himself. It is the most valued, most treasured and I am most thankful for it. He like #2 Son, has his own mind, and uses it, and that is the gift that he keeps giving to TLW (The Little Woman) and me.

When I was a young man, not married and still dreaming, I often hoped I’d have a son. Being raised in a house with 4 sisters, not having a brother was hard on me, and Dad wasn’t always able to be there for me. Having 3 sons is unimaginable to me to this day. When the two guys are together I feel this immense sense of pride and satisfaction.

Two sons, great!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are truly a blessed man.
ss-i-l

Mary Ann said...

WHOA!!! NICE!!