Friday, January 28, 2011

IT NEVER GOES AWAY


Thirty years ago today, my family and I lost our child, Joseph. After all these years I wonder when I will heal. I know the passage of time has helped me to realize I need to continue to live my life that life does go on.

Funny thing about all that has ensued over the years is that I learned that I can make my son’s life, as short as it was, meaningful! I can dedicate myself unselfishly to other individuals who have not been given a chance like my daughter’s life, and I can come to understand that we each, in our own world can make a difference in someone else’s.

I look out at the landscape today, and I see the snow, the ice and the frozen cold feeling I had so many years ago when we buried Joseph. All that I felt then at his graveside, I can feel today. But it also reminds me of something else, the fact that I was surrounded by the warmth of family and friends. The tears I shed and we shed as a family, were shed by many that day. Although today we shed a tear in private, and alone, we as a family know that we don’t have to, we just do.

One hundred years from now, no one will care who I am, who my son was, and who when my son died was there, because of the lesson of life: Death is a singular event, one that will happen over and over again.

There are many people out there who have dealt with the issue of a child’s death, who will privately grieve, and some will continue to grieve collectively, but will have one thing in common: we do not and will not forget.

3 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I wish I had some words to console you my friend. I did find this touching tribute to a lost child that came from a headstone in an Irish cemetary:

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal."

Laura ESL Teacher said...

I cannot imagine how hard this must have been for your family, and how hard it must still be. Hugs to you my friend.

Anonymous said...

My parents lost their first child
back in the 40's when he was just 1 year old. Though I didn't know him
when I was a child I used to pretend
he was here with me and I'd talk to
him all the time. As an adult and
having children of my own, I can't
even imagine losing a child. So
though I can't even understand such
a loss to you, I can only send my
love, hugs and kisses to you and your
family. Pat