Monday, August 01, 2011

THE END OF THE WORLD???


One morning in early July, I was driving #2 Son to work. Driving #2 Son to work is all about timing. He likes to leave the very last minute, or preferably after he is due in and still be a few minutes early to smoke a cigarette. I like to get him there asap, and leave, asap. When we are a few minutes early, he likes to sit in my car and talk politics. When we are a few minutes early, I like to leave asap.

As we are driving, there is a SUV about ¼ mile ahead of me and it pulls along the side of the road and parks. A guy jumps out in his late 60’s or early 70’s running toward me, his hands raised up as he is running, telling me to stop!

At first I think it is my brother-in-law John, since he looks so Polish, (Don’t ask), then I realize it is not him: but some stranger. Then the look on this guy’s face is such that fear has taken it over, making me think that something, maybe his car is about to explode!

Coming to a screeching halt, just about 2 inches from where he is standing, he reaches down, picks something up, turns around and goes back to his car. No explanation, no acknowledgment, no nothing!

WHAT COULD BE SO VALUABLE THAT HE WOULD RUN TOWARD MY CAR AS I AM DRIVING AND RISK HIS LIFE?

As we pass piss-pot, #2 Son rolls down the window and says: “THANK YOU!”

No comments: