Wednesday, August 10, 2011

WHO CHEATED WHOM?

I have often heard about how the white man robbed the ‘Native American’ out of Manhattan Island for $24 worth of trinkets. In the time it took for me to get educated about the facts, I compared what I learned yesterday to what I think today.

Who’s kidding whom? Did the white man steal their land or did they buy it? I mean who was leading the Native American (NA) delegation during these negotiations? Was it an adult or some kid? Really, anyone ever hear about “Buyer beware” Am I being naïveté?



Let’s face it: Whitey did the NA a favor, taking off the hands of the NA’s a frightful task of getting the subways to run and the buses properly routed. Do you think it would have been fair to leave these poor people with the Taxi and Limo Commission? What about garbage and snow plowing, I don’t think so.

And the mobs! My gosh there are a lot of people on the streets at lunch hour, all strolling around, I’m sure they would have no regard for a tee pee sitting on say 5th Avenue and 50th Street.

Like most reparations, they come too late, or too soon. Never did anyone pay back something on time, when it was in its purest form. The Germans made reparations too soon during the 20th Century for starting WWI, bankrupting Germany and we are too late to pay back the NA’s! It’s not the same place anymore! By the way, this NA stuff is starting to get to me: I’m calling them Indians for now on. (Dear #1 and #2 Sons, get over it.)

So let’s say we give back Manhattan Island to the Indians (Get over it guys), will they do the right thing and return the trinkets? All $24?

Just saying.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DON UYENO!

No comments: