Saturday, December 08, 2012

BY THURSDAY YOU’LL BE FINE!


When I was a little kid, especially when I didn’t want to go to school, I’d tell my mother I didn’t feel well.

“What’s wrong?” Her eyes squinting and looking at me suspiciously as she awaits my answer.

“I have a ___________________ and you could fill in the blanks depending on what I complained about the last time. Usually, headaches, stomachaches and sometimes a fever would fill in the blank nicely.

“You’ll be fine, take an aspirin and go to school.”

“But it’s Saturday!”

“Oh! You caught me by surprise.”

Now that I retired, I can’t do that anymore because I don’t have to. As you know, recently for the Holidays, TLW (The Little Woman) gave me a personalized cold for an early present.

I seem to be cherishing it: it won’t go away! I had a flu shot so I know it’s not the flu, but boy, it sure feels like it. I feel like I have an inner skull that sits in my outer skull, and when I move it bangs against the outer skull.

The good news is I’m not all that hungry: the bad news is I’m not all that hungry! I can’t sit up because when I do I get dizzy and when I lie down I get a coughing fit.

I wake up in the middle of the night, maybe 6 or 7 times, feeling achy and can’t get comfortable or settle down.

Now here is the kicker, it all started Monday and TLW said she had the same thing, She said and I will quote her: “BY THURSDAY YOU’LL BE FINE!”

I am writing this on Wednesday night, December 5th, and somehow, I don’t believe her.

No comments: