Thursday, December 27, 2012

BREAKING THE NEWS


We arrived at our favorite diner for Sunday breakfast, and sat opposite each other like we always do. I remember when we sat NEXT to each other before we married and ate in a diner, but so much for young romance.

The waitress took our order and disappeared and TLW (The Little Woman) started to adjust her place mat. This is not a good sign! After aligning it and smoothing it out, she stared down at the place mat and began: “Eve in my wanna-be bank is redoing her kitchen. (You have to be careful here and NOT say ‘how nice’)

The waitress brought us coffee as I shifted somewhat uncomfortably, because I could feel the news coming, “Oh!” I responded to her statement.

“Yes she was showing us pictures and… why are you looking so nervous?

“Oh! Am I? Must have been a lack of sleep.”

Not to be deterred, she went on with her spiel, as I waited for the big bomb to explode. I didn’t have to wait long.

“Well I was thinking (I bet she was) we should really replace that counter top.”

(Here comes my big mistake) “Well I wanted to put in a granite top years ago when we redid the kitchen, but you said no!”

“So you agree we need a granite counter top too.”

“I didn’t say … er…”

“But I think you are right, we should redo the upstairs bathroom first.”

“You do? I don’t remember being right! When did I say that?”

“Maybe this week we’ll take a look at counter tops and get some ideas for the bathroom. I want to replace the walls in the tub area with tiles too.”

“Then I think we would need to do the walls at least half way up with tiles too.” (I can’t seem to keep my big mouth shut)

“Ok, we will then. Glad you agree.”

Remind me to eat in on Sundays, with my mouth closed.


3 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Oh you poor, hopelessly outgunned man.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

you left out "Pathetic"!

Jim Pantaleno said...

...and pathetic.