Wednesday, December 05, 2012

LET’S WALK THROUGH THIS ONCE MORE.

-->
Sick bastards!
Recently there was an article written in the British medical journal Heart. In the article leading experts in cardiology wrote that as Cardiologist, they have concluded that running long distances and prolonged exercise is bad for the old ticker.

Internally, marathon-running training can be the cause of a variety of acute problems, such as arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat, and lasting damage, including calcification and scarring!

You may be training all your life as an athlete, yet the conditions are not easily detected or predicted. Now here is the best part-for all you older athletes: the toll it takes on you far out-weight the benefits, causing you to age quicker.

And this; According to James H. O’Keefe, M.D. of the Mid-America Heart Institute of Kansas City, who co-authored an extensive 2012 study that examined the cardiac risks faced by athletes: “Physical exercise, though not a drug, possesses many traits of a powerful pharmacologic agent. A safe upper dose limit potentially exists, beyond which the adverse effects of physical exercise, such as musculoskeletal trauma and cardiovascular stress, may outweigh its benefits.”

I’m feeling much better about myself now since I read these articles!

Who in their right mind wants to run? What’s the hurry anyway?  You run, you sweat, your gasping for air, and then you have to sit down, or bend over like you are about to heave up that taco you had for lunch.

My mother is 95 years of age. Never ran a day in her life; except for the few times she chased me around the dining room table with a wooden spoon. THAT was all the exercise she needed apparently, and we would take breaks between laps, and then I would ask her if she was ready to resume.

Dad on the other hand was always running around, at his job, in the yard, made me nuts! Dad passed on at a young age of 74! So much for running.

When my sons were growing up, I told them never to start a fight, but never to run away when one was started with them. I said that they should try to walk away if possible, but if it was not the case to be, to stand and fight, but NEVER run away.

I see these people running, in spandex outfits no less and think: “If I wore that I’d run too!” Usually early in the A.M., I see these young women running by the house, trying mightily to ‘stay in shape’ so the world will judge them better. (I try to look for them every day) And what will be their legacy: that their legs are tired? A hundred years from now will it matter that their butt was a little wide, or that they weighted a little more than they should?
Lazy bastard!
As for me, when I’m done here, I’m walking over to the refrigerator and then the coffee maker and getting another cup of coffee, where I will then sit in my chair (walking over to it) and run (There’s that ugly word again!) over the days plan in my head.


Playcrafters proudly presents
Every Christmas Story Ever Told 

(And Then Some)
A Comedy by Michael Carleton, 

Jim FitzGerald, and John K. Alvarez

Fridays and Saturdays,
December 7, 8, 14, &15, 2012
Boys & Girls Club of the Bellport Area
471 Atlantic Ave, Bellport, NY 11713


Curtain Time: 8:00pm
Suggested Donation: Adult $18 Seniors/Students $15

For children and adults 10 and above!

Synopsis of the Show:
Instead of performing Charles Dickens' beloved holiday classic for the umpteenth time, three actors decide to perform every Christmas story ever told.

1 comment:

Michele DePalo said...

Thanks, Joe, for publicizing our show on your blog. You're a real pal.