Thursday, January 09, 2014

IS IT CYCLIBLE, RECYCLIBLE OR UNCYCLIBLE?


I don’t know but will you still love tomorrow? Some schmuck from Brookhaven Town has decided to make the question above more confusing.

Now I consider myself a reasonable man, willing to help when I can, listen to what others have to say, and do my part as a good citizen.

Last Saturday on my way out to the store, I look down my block and what to my eyes should appear? Two garbage men and their truck in high gear!

So I dashed to the side of my house with great care, though the snow had drifts as high as my rear!

So I grabbed the recyclables there was such a clatter-my neighbor next door looked to see what’s the matter.

I’ll tell you what the matter was: those paper shufflers in Town Hall had changed the rules after January 1st! It was Saturday, not Wednesday, and the morons hadn’t sent out the notices in time.

Not to complain BUT- Give me a fair shot before you make me nuts, and to add insult to in my case, cold ass injury, you now can mix both glass and paper! OK, I know that makes it easier, but give me a heads up first, will ya?

You can recycle or not have to separate paper from glass or metal, but they won’t take foil on paper. I
don’t know, I’m afraid to put anything out anymore. What if I do something wrong? Will there be a knock on my door in the middle of the night by two or three men in recyclable coats and hats to take me to a garbage prison, where I will be relegated to the separating of incoming garbage?

This is the same town that allows door-to-door salesmen, or the more educated word: soliciting! They don’t mind where the cars are parked or that your chimney for your wood-burning fireplace is too low, but give them garbage and watch them have fun.

I have already informed TLW (The Little Woman) that we need to recreate our recycle system in the house as to what goes where. She has presented a plan herself that makes sense if we can really figure it all out with this garbage.

It used to be simple: you got a big brown paper bag, filled it with everything, food waste, cans, bottles or newspapers and when the bag was filled, you put it in the garbage can outside and started on a new bag. This how grandma did it, how Dad used to do it and how I used to at one time do it. As a little boy, to develop my manhood, I was given the task of taking out the garbage, and usually wore it as a badge of honor-literally.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Empathize, bro. Sometimes I feel like I work for the Department of Sanitation. Gotta run...today's fudgesickle stick pick-up day.