Monday, January 20, 2014

NOW AND AT THE HOUR

-->
It takes only moments to deteriorate, to break down from freedom of movement to complete incapacitation! You don't need to go anywhere to do it, no special equipment need be installed, and it only cost you your life.

Yesterday I spent a great part of my day visiting Mom, and it was an emotional rollercoaster. Her physical wellbeing is not good and getting worse, and for the first time, my suspicions have been confirmed, she had a mini-stroke. As she sat up in her hospital bed, it was time for lunch. Her frail body seems to hang together as I pulled up the tray from the rolling table. She winces and an immediate guilt crosses my being. I slowly cut up her meat and her pal Henry begins to feed her small fork-full at a time.

As the day wears on, the hospital staff informs us that mom will be moved down two floors with the general population, and then suddenly things change. Based on the finding of a cat scan, she is moved into a MICU, where she is hooked up and fast asleep as we enter.  Mom is diagnosed with colitis, and it is the kind that affects the outer stomach, the worst kind you can have.

Right now, she is crumpled up in her bed, it is dark, and dreary and hard to imagine being happy there. There are only 5 other patients in the MICU and they are all totally out of it.

Today I go back, take care of some bills for her and return to the hospital where I will meet my sister and Henry, her and our best friend. He is really part of our family.

NOTE: Since this was written, Mom has improved greatly!

1 comment:

Diana said...

God Bless!! ! So glad she's improving!! :-))