Wednesday, January 15, 2014

THAT RUBY LOOK


It was Friday morning and I dressed for work and headed out to my Camaro, stopped, turned around and went back into my house, reached into my dresser and removed the little jewelry box containing TLW’s  (The Little Woman’s) engagement ring. Opening up the box I looked one more time at it, closed it and stuck it in my jacket breast pocket.

I walked to the train station in Bellport and started to get a little excited, I was going to surprise her with the ring on the train, fooling her and our plans, and why not, we were getting married in June anyway.

I boarded the train and said hello and good morning to everyone on the car. It was like family in those days, as I sat through each station, it seemed like East Islip would never come. Finally, the sign for the station said ‘East Islip’ this was it.

I looked down the aisle and here she comes, with her red nose from the cold, matched by her red pants suite, matching her my mood: Merry!

We kissed good morning and I sprung the ring on her. She was surprised and at first said: “I thought we decided on Valentine’s Day!” Slipping the ring on her finger before I could answer her, she then began to parade up and down the aisle showing all our  friends what we had done, and what was to be.

I will always remember those days. They were care-free and happy, filled with promise and no clues of what the real tomorrows would bring. The time from when we first met through a mutual friend until the day we married will be forever etched in my mind, clearly and lovingly. The places we went to, the dinners and cups of coffee, the visits and even the movies were all so special, that it has left an after taste of sweet times.

No comments: