Thursday, January 16, 2014

WHAT’S IN A NAME?


A rose is a rose is a rose, or a rose by any other name would still smell the same.

The other night at dinner, I voiced my feelings that I didn’t know yet what my new grandchild would be named. I already have a vision of her beautiful face, now I need a name to go with it.

TLW (The Little Woman) immediately went on the offensive:

“They have a right to name the baby anything they want” she opined.

“Yes, I just wish I knew the name, just so I have a clearer picture.”

“Oh! So you think Josephine would be good?’

“Nooo, just a name, I need a name.”

“Well I don’t think Josephine is very pretty for a girl.”

“I don’t either.”

“How about Emily, or Emma, I love Emma!”

“Sure, Emma is nice, I just wish I knew the name.”

We tossed about a few names and finally came to the conclusion that it must be very important that it will take a long time for them to name the child. Back in my day, we didn’t know the sex until the child was born: so then we worried what to call it, maybe a day or two before the birth.

I suspect they had something to do with all this.
I really have no preference as to what they name her, just as long as I can spell it and put on her cards, Love, Grandpa.

No comments: