Wednesday, December 24, 2014

IT’S CHRISTMAS EVE! AGAIN!


It is hard to believe that it is Christmas Eve again, or as you non-believers say: “December 24th.” It seems like only yesterday I had said that but it was 2013.

This year is interesting in that there is nothing to say about it except before you know it, it will be Christmas Eve, 2015, or as you non-believers say: “December 24th, 2015”!

Years ago this was a day for self-recrimination on my part. Santa was coming, and suddenly all those things I thought were fun were coming to haunt me, as Santa would have the last laugh. It was then that I turned to God, promising a better person in the coming year, more attention to Mom and Dad, and less torturing of my sisters. The hope was that God would intercede on my behalf and sway jolly old St. Nick to laugh it off and give the kid a break.

Mom was in total command, giving me orders and I faithfully carrying them out, avoiding my sisters where possible and throwing out the garbage without being asked. I even took the live eel heads that were eating through the brown paper bag down to the trash can two flights down!

Dad had an inside connection with Santa, he seemed to have conversations with him that had uncertainties to them, saying things like: “I spoke to Santa today, he asked if you were a good boy, I had to tell him the truth, you can’t lie to Santa!” He never told me what the truth was, but it played in my head as a disappointing morning of my siblings getting toys and me coal, coal to be put in my stocking, even though we didn’t have stocking hanging.

I would start to feel sorry for myself, look at my sister and think: “Why did I do that? She had it coming, I’m sorry God, I won’t do it again if Santa comes tomorrow for me and I get my train set.”

Somehow, Santa did come for me too, every year, and left me toys, and no coal. While Mom went to church, I would go to Dad while he was in bed and thank him for talking to Santa for me. This was not a good idea since Mom had gone to mid-night Mass!

FROM ME TO YOU...

HAVE A WONDERFUL AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!

 

 



LOOKING FOR SMART GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
Watch Wolowitz try to earn his doctorates!


1 comment:

Diana said...

Merry Christmas to you and all Joseph, and don't worry, I don't think there will be any coal in you stocking! LOL!! Love to all!