Thursday, January 15, 2015

ENGAGING HISTORY


Marriage is like a deck of cards, in the beginning you need two hearts and a diamond, but by the end you wish you had a club and a spade!

Not true but funny. Get over it.

It was a Friday back in 1971, and we were heading between East Islip and Bayshore NY, on the Long Island Railroad, when I slipped out the ring and stuck it on TLW’s (The Little Woman) finger. The night before we went after work to pick up the engagement ring and I was to give it to her on Valentine’s Day. The idea of having that ring on me for all that time made me nervous so I decided to give it to her the next day, January 15th.

Such actions come with consequences: there was a wedding in June and a reception, which I showed up for, and a very nice honeymoon. All that cost money, but not as much as it cost me since.

Of course I’m not complaining, it has been a wonderful life in spite of the sad things that have happened. No one goes through life without some tears. There was the time one year early on when I was a little tipsy from too much wine on Christmas Eve and all I wanted was to go to bed when TLW reminded me I still had to put the kids toys together! I did that lying on the floor and very slowly. Where was TLW? Sleeping of course.

The engagement period itself was a whirlwind of visiting relatives and friends, planning for the wedding and enjoying life like I never did before or since. We made plans for the future and dreamed a little and finally the big day came. If it weren’t for my best man and best friend Phil, I would have completely missed the my wedding,

It seems the whole family left for the church or somewhere leaving me behind asleep. I was out cold from the evening festivities the night before, when suddenly there was a knock on the window, a constant rapping. I awoke and realized in the sun beaming into my eyes that there was someone rapping on the window AND that it was my wedding day! I dressed, went to my father’s bar and Phil and I had one last drink together before setting off for the church.





LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, it’s only makes sense.

No comments: