Friday, April 05, 2019

AND SO IT ENDS


After almost thirty-years of serving on the AHRC Suffolk Board of Directors, I finally submitted my resignation of the position of ‘Director’.

Over the many years of service to this board, I slowly learned that advocacy is a duty, not for one, but for the many. I have served under stress, overjoyed, and with passion, unfortunately, passion has to be rekindled and worked at. 

My reasons for retiring or resigning is that it is time to go, time to turn the keys over to a younger generation. Younger people have more energy and more ideas. It has been a long road, especially at the beginning of my service when I worked then served on committees at night. Some nights were dark, rainy, snowy, the glare from traffic intense from a headache during the day of regular business hours that I carried with me to the meetings. In these days the meetings lasted until 11:00 PM! My tired body, aching legs, and hunger all playing a part of the hard days of service to the board as well as feeding my family was the norm and not the exception.



So, what to do with the extra time? I will be dedicating my time to getting my wife and daughter to the west coast and trying to convince #2 Son Mike to do the same and join us. It would truly be a great way to end my life and have some joy.

We all need to enjoy our lives and mine has not been that enjoyable, especially with death and disabilities that seem to rule the day. The disappointment of my siblings save for one or two has broken that bond permanently and now it is time to free myself of all that crap.

My children and grandchildren are all I want at this stage, to see them prosper and enjoy their lives as my wife Ellen and I enjoy them and each other.



-->

No comments: