Friday, June 04, 2010

WHAT’S THAT COMRAD: YOU WANT A PICTURE?


The five walked to the dock of the lake to board a small excursion boat to tour the beautiful lake, and catch the sea breezes that swept it and cooled down the warmth and humidity that Sunday afternoon. It was a small dock, and the boat was a short 15-minute ride, and one boarded at a first-come, first-served basis.

As we waited the people ahead of us started to board, and we were informed it would only take a limited number of passengers at a time, and with the five in my party, we exceeded the limit, and deferred to others to be next to board first.

The waiting area was maybe 10 feet by 10 feet with an enclosure, then a very narrow stairway to a small landing, then the long gangway to the edge of the boat to board. We stood next in line and people were quickly gathering behind us to board also.

Suddenly, this little lady and her small child come up to me and the lady asked in a broken English Russian accentuated voice, if I could take her child’s picture.

“Why sure!” I say and kneel down to shot.

“No, no, can you shoot it on the bottom of the steps?”

“No problem” I replied, being a really wonderful person that I am. (I heard that!)

“Wait, Mister, can I get in the picture?”

“Sure”

“Let’s shoot it on the landing with the lake behind us.”

I’m starting to get suspicious.

“Can we have one more with MY mother, the three of us?”

I’m getting suspicious and a little annoyed. Khrushchev never had these many pictures taken, even at the great Kitchen Debate with Nixon!

All of a sudden, another lady shuffles her way down to the dock, with a bunch of carry-on bags and totes! The people behind me are getting very angry, but no one says anything.

I do!

“OK, picture session is over, back to the back of the line!”

“Don’t worry Mister, we are not cutting in.”

“I’m sure you are not”, as I squeeze them off to the side, as the boat opens its doors and everyone boards, passing them by and having them wait. They try to cut in front of the people behind me, I point out to the operator what they are doing, and she makes them wait their turn for a later boat!

Once I board, this guy and his wife for speaking up congratulate me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I almost got lost in that shuffle. Thanks for watching out for us.
Pat Had a fun day despite that!