Thursday, June 03, 2010

WOW!



The reunion is finally over, and the effects are lingering and lasting! In anyone’s vocabulary, it is called a success. The success is not from the turnout, although it was terrific, not in the fact that we all had such a wonderful time, nor even in the fact that the DJ was terrific, the Bellport CC magnificent or the food outstanding. No, that isn’t it, it was the tremendous spirit of my classmates in getting together and seeing ourselves, once again, the laughter, and tears, the hugs and handshakes, made it a success!

Being it is a committee of all women and myself, I should tell you: the original plan was for a 40th reunion, but I never got a word in edge wise for five years!

Those crazy kids are already planning one for next year! This time in Florida! Someone thought about the 50th being on a cruise ship!



There was some fun, a winner of the baby contest guessing game, and the non-awards of a few non-contests we didn’t have, but could have. (Don’t ask)



As some of you might know, we started the day on Saturday, July 29th, with a memorial at the old grounds of the Bellport High School, now the Middle School, to the old building that burned down and our classmates who no longer are with us. We invited family and friends as well as classmates. Afterward, a whole gang of about 30 of us gathered for lunch in Bellport.



That night we all gathered at BobbiQue’s for an ice-breaker: which lasted for a good while of hand shaking, hugs and remembering old times.



But the reunion started for my great committee and me at 9:00 am that Sunday morning at the Bellport Country Club, as we gathered together to set things up.



After the reunion, we went upstairs for drinks, and then the next morning, Memorial Day, some of us gathered for breakfast!



I’m glad we graduated, because if we didn’t, I would be out partying somewhere right now!



The nicest thing that happened was that the Committee gave TLW (The Little Woman) a special recognition for her patience with the meetings, and I made her an Honorary Committee Member for her helping me. They love her more than even I do! I also thought it appropriate to make Jerry Walsh, one of my committee member’s husband an Honorary Committee Member for bringing his lovely wife Kathy, all the way from New Jersey for the meetings! He too, like TLW, never ever complained



Well, it is all over, I am glad I did it, will never ever forget the days and the wonderful people that came. To them I thank, and know full well, along with the committee, that it was indeed them that made it a success.
















1 comment:

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Looks like it was a wonderful time! It's nice to see people re-connect after so many years. good job, Joe!