Saturday, October 12, 2013

THE EVENING


As a never-ending service to my faithful readers, another of my hard-hitting critiques or restaurant reviews conducted by the food editors of DelBloggolo.

Can YOU find the front door?
This time out we present Le Soir, (The Evening) a charming looking little French restaurant that leaves you with two big surprises if you’ve never eaten in it.

“...‘outstanding’ French destination in Bayport proffering ‘exquisitely prepared’ dinners; the service is ‘amazing’ too...”
                                        2011 - 2012 Zagat Guide, Long Island Restaurants
Le Soir Restaurant * 825 Montauk Highway * Bayport, New York 11705 * 631.472.9090  www.lesoirbayport.com

Sitting just off the main drag of Montauk Highway in Bayport, on Long Island’s south shore a tiny but inviting looking eatery for refined tastes and a touch of elegance. It is to celebrate a special occasion or not, it is a cozy place until you are seated.

Rather bland looking decor!
I happened to be in the mood for Escargots Bourguignons, or snails in garlic butter, one of my favorite appetizers I learned to eat from the French restaurants that populate New York City in my younger years as an advertising designer. Since I would be away in Westchester all day for a meeting, and TLW (The Little Woman) was working, we decided to have dinner out when we finally joined up at the end of the day. Making reservations for 7:30, we arrived at the eatery and as we parked the car, the aroma from the kitchen immediately hit me, inviting me in. I hadn’t been there in over 30 years, but do remember it, even to the point of my meal that evening!

There was some confusion as where to enter the restaurant and discovered it hidden behind an unwelcoming shed-like door on the out of view side of the building, after some diners were leaving! Uncertain we entered and what seemed to be the server’s station behind the kitchen and a small bar at the end of the entrance with three or four bar stools. We asked if this was indeed the entrance and was assured it was,

Off to the dining room we went and were seated at a small table for two, in an unfortunate spot in the place. I sat in the line of the traffic of the servers and customers as they entered. Since there were few people dining, it didn’t seem to bother me at first, then as the night wore on I was suddenly feeling the thumping of the waitresses and customers as the filed past my seat, and had some of the customers standing next to me waiting to be seated in a large party of ten, their asses sticking practically in my face!

TLW ordered the Risotto de Crevettes, Tomates Rôti et Asperges, Sauce Vermouth 
Jumbo Shrimp Risotto, Roasted Tomatoes and Asparagus, Vermouth Sauce, and I ordered the Coquilles Saint Jacques Sautée, Vinaigrette de Jerez 
Pan-Fried Sea Scallops, Raisin Pine Nut Vinaigrette

Both dishes were outstanding as was the wine, a dry Port that filled the bill. I am not a lover of white wine, find it flavorless and dull, but enjoy a dry rich red, which we ordered for ourselves after our usual cocktails and escargots, which I savored with some crusty buttered bread that I dipped into the left-over juices of the vacant sections or escargots! (My favorite part of the whole process!)

The décor was nothing to get excited about, as it was restored after a fire a few years ago. The main issues I have with the experience are the loudness of the place for one, something the Zagat review failed miserably at mentioning. The noise level was so bad I was dying to finish up and get out, but if the loudness wasn’t enough, the price of everything sure was. For the portions, they were sufficient, and very well executed: it was still way over priced. The drinks were obscenely priced to the point of gouging and although I paid, I will never go back there again.

I give it 1½ Dels out of 5.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Back to the Crab Shack.