Saturday, February 25, 2017

DOING THE HOKEY POKEY

“Everybody form a circle
Put your left foot in
Your left foot out
Your left foot in
And shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And turn yourself around
Now put your right foot in
Your right foot out
Right foot in
Then you shake it all about
And then you do the hokey pokey
Turn yourself around
That's what it's all about
You put your head in”
etc., etc., etc.

 
Thank you for dancing with me!

It seems that the world has taken a new turn or dance step, going the opposite direction while spinning and doing it upside down! I look on social media and see the lines being drawn before, during and after the Presidential election. It seems that everyone is convinced that they have the correct opinion and everyone else should “do a little research.”

Funny how research works. First, you find an objective to verify your so-called facts, then it becomes easier to spin the truth. After all, it has been said:
“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
- Isaac Asimov

But to get back to the dance on hand.

I am not by nature one to be ambivalent to what goes on around me, in the world and on Facebook. I find it fun to read the insults tossed about at one another. I can enjoy the fact that we all have opinions and that we can post them without fear of being arrested. I find it amusing that people will support planks and opinions just because they are represented by the party they vote for. They never cross party lines and will chastise you for not agreeing with them. THEY have done their “research”, you only find conflict within yourself.

The inner conflict has always helped me to decide and make a stance, or as they say, draw a line in the sand. Conflict suggests to me that you are weighing both sides of the argument, that you agree and disagree with both sides of a question. If challenges your morality, sense of right from wrong and finally what you hope the world will achieve. Challenging all the facts is only part of the issue, once you achieve the facts, you need to weigh them against your own dogma, and decide: “Is this right for all of us, is this the truth?

Recently I posted some truths that rubbed a Conservative the wrong way. He suggested I do my research, which is just saying: I don’t like what you posted, I don’t know what upsets me but I wish you would do your research. I think that perhaps his research may be lacking, or still on-going, yet cannot offer what upset him.

Well, I think I’ll go dancing some more.

No comments: