Sunday, October 14, 2018

GRANDPARENTHOOD

Or… why do I feel broke?

Recently, while visiting my grandchildren in Burbank, California I went to a store and purchased some donuts for my granddaughter Darby. If there is one thing that my granddaughter and I have in common, it is the love of donuts. As I was shopping I saw this display for a certain specialized cinnamon and spice donut and brought it home to my princess. She loved them so a few days later I went to the store with her to purchase more to win her over.

Never do that it can be costly.

As a grandpa with his granddaughter in the shopping cart, I went through the aisles as she ordered me to stop and selected different things she liked. A greeting card that said to hold your friends close to you, a couple of bags of donuts to cake and candy, rounding out the trip for about $20 worth of grandpa’s wallet. Kind of like a fall cleaning for the old leather money holder.

Someday, she will become an expensive date. I will be in a pauper’s grave and all will be well.  But is it not the prerogative of a grandpa to die poor? When you have beautiful grandchildren as I do, it is your duty.

No comments: