Monday, September 11, 2006

GPS vs. TLW

This past weekend the family and I spent our time in North Carolina and Duke Country, all in the Raleigh Durham area to attend my cousin’s son’s wedding at Duke University. It is a very beautiful area of North Carolina, a campus that is prestigious and filled with old American tradition born of the Deep South. North Carolina may not be very deep, but deep enough to hear a “y’all” here and there and an always polite “Good morning” from strangers.

Getting around “Blue Devil” country is not easy. If you don’t have at least a map, don’t leave your hotel room. It is filled with country roads that have hidden street signs behind magnolia trees and woods, woods, woods. I was fortunate enough to take with me the GPS or Global Positioning Satellite system that I really needed to get from the airport to the hotel to the restaurant the night before to the South Point Mall to the Duke Chapel to the Washington Duke Inn on the wedding day, to the car rental to the go home the following day, in other words everywhere I went.

I discovered as I went from one place to another that a growing hostility was developing right before my eyes. It seems TLW (The Little Woman) was becoming annoyed that I had gotten a device that told me where to go. It seems that she has been telling me where to go for years and this was becoming a little unsettling for TLW. Where the device said turn here, TLW would want to contradict the wisdom of that move. I decided that she is afraid that I will be giving the GPS more attention, especially at Christmas time when the GPS and I will be celebrating our first anniversary. I tried to assure TLW that although I will be celebrating the anniversary, I would not forget her. TLW should understand that sleeping with the GPS will not in any way infringe upon her sleep, nor in any way compromise the gift I will give her on our anniversary in June. I have just about decided to hide the GPS for it’s own protection, at least until the hostility dies away and it is safe once again for the GPS.

No comments: