Saturday, March 22, 2008

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!


The grass is ris,
I wonder where
The birdie is?
Author, best forgotten


The time of the year when you can’t make up your mind, be sure, or even want to bother to.

As I write this, it is early on a Friday morning, the first day of spring. It is sunny out, but the wind sounds like I live in an igloo in the North Pole. It is making howling noises! Loud, howling noises that say it is cold outside, a wind chill factor in the teens.

I plan to step out this morning to do some shopping, and I don’t want to go. The temperature is supposed to go up to the mid 40’s, but with the wind, it will feel colder. Do I dress for winter, or spring? Do I go out at all? Do you care?

At this time of the year, the weather is like the stock market. It will go way up and way down, sometimes within the same hour. Day to day is not predictable, so we dress one way and it goes the other. What do we get, a cold, the flu, aches and pains?

My Mother knows March as crazy March. She thinks anyone born in March may be a little crazy, including her two daughters. Both her first child and her last child were born in March. I’m the only sane child she has, although two other sisters, one in November and one in December. Me, I was born in the heat and humidity of July. I am the only boy in the family of five children, all the rest are girls.

Where are the crocus, the tulips and the cherry blossoms of spring?

I’ll give you this, I saw the first weeds of spring, yesterday.

Wish to weed out the blogosphere? Write to: joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com, tell him: “I’d like to plant you with the crocus.”

2 comments:

Steve Philp said...

Ugh.. the last few days in Michigan have looked pretty promising for Spring. All of that was ruined around 3pm this afternoon when 3-6" of snow fell and blew around in blizzard conditions.

Maybe we can talk one of the presidential candidates into mandating Spring Now as part of their platform?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.