Saturday, May 03, 2008

BEING BIG ON EARLY

I’ve always been a worrier. I worry about my kids, my wife, my dog, everyone but myself. My best friend and Best Man Phil, lives in Staten Island, Ii worry about him. #1 Son in California, worry that he lives alone, and I think he needs a wife to share his life with. #2 Son worries me that he will never get out. That for the rest of my life, #2 Son will be living with me and TLW (The Little Woman) and miss out on the time of his life. And of course, I worry about TLW. When she is out late, doing her volunteer Bingo for AHRC, I worry about her on the road at night.

TLW often zings me about being early. I never like to be late for anything. If the doctor’s say I only have ten minutes to live, then ten minutes it will be. All through my career, whenever there was a meeting scheduled, I was there on time, and usually the first one in the room. If I scheduled a meeting and someone was late, they got the word.

When I was working, especially the last 35 years, I was always the first one in. While others would come in at 8:45, 9:00 or even 10:00 AM, I would be at my desk, ready to deal with whatever came my way. I was usually ready to go at 6:00 AM, planning what needed to be done, listing the calls I needed to make, writing memos and leaving notes on people’s desk about some problem, I had with them. When #1 Son worked with me, we would travel in together and always arrive by at least 8:30, the latest. The boy needed his sleep.

At Board meetings, I am usually at the big table, coffee in hand, planning what I wanted to talk about.

I guess this all stems from the fact that I was born two days late! That was the last time. I makes me nuts because I was two days late from a major holiday, and couldn’t brag that all the fanfare was for me.

Wish I were the Late Joe Del Bloggolo? Get in line behind the potential merry widow, and write to; joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com, tell him: “You still alive? Or did you forget to lie down? That’s what it looks like.”

No comments: