Thursday, May 29, 2008

TEVYE AND GOLDE, DANCE WE MUST


Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?

“ I DO.”
I will hear those two words three times this year and they will have serious consequences for those involved. Indeed, the world as I know it is growing up, and growing old.

I don't remember growing older
When did they?

All those little kids I used to see at family gatherings will be making the plunge into marriage, and I can’t believe it! This weekend in Philadelphia, TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) and My beautiful niece Megan will be tying the knot with Handsome Harry. The city of “Brotherly Love” will extend its reputation and marry off the two lovebirds into wedded bliss.

When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he get to be so tall?


Come August, in Connecticut, my nephew Marc will marry a cute little Sicilian Girl named Nichole. Marc is my little sister Fran’s only son. This will definitely empty out the nest, and my Brother-in-law Tom can say he is not losing a son, but gaining a pool table for the spare room.

Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?

Finally, on some beach in Florida in mid-October, my baby sister Joanne’s son David takes the plunge with the lovely Kim. Sandals and swimwear are the order of the day! Don’t get sand in your eyes.

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

I envy them for having their day. It will be a beautiful day, filled with joy and memories that will not be forgotten, but events that will escape their memories and we will be grateful for cameras.

I had my day, it was the best day I can recall, outside of my children being born. To all the couples I wish you the kind of marriage I have. It is filled with love, respect and trust, it is the best gift you can give one another, but be sure to give it every day and every moment of your lives.

As Tevye and Golde would say; “Mozeltov!

No comments: