Sunday, May 15, 2011

MY LONGEST DAY WILL BE EVEN LONGER!


Recently, TLW (The Little Woman) asked me to accompany her to Roosevelt Field in Garden City, so she could pick out a wedding dress for #1 Son’s wedding in July. Being a dutiful husband, and a little afraid of her, I acquiesced to her wish and drove out to the huge mall.

Finding a parking space in the land of shopping, which is populated by 99% women, I finally found one and trudged through the driving wind and rain to reach the building.

“We will try Macy’s first, even though I’ve been to a few already.”

“Yes Dear.”

Macy’s, Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, and Dresses R’ Us: and not a shred of material did she like, not a color would brighten her afternoon, not a style excited her. We traversed 2 malls, one in Roosevelt Field, and one in Huntington, the Walt Whitman Mall. There was no poetry there either.

As for me, I sat in the chair of every waiting room, watching the big and the small in their struggle to accommodate their bodies into the latest styles.

As we were leaving Nordstrom’s a kindly man offered us a menu to the Nordstrom Café where we could purchase lunch. TLW was not in the mood, and brushed the poor guy aside, while I took his menu. He begged us to try the place, and I kept it in the back of my mind.

About 1:30 in the afternoon, TLW announces: “Oh my God, I thought it was 12:30, it’s 1:30! I’m hungry, lets find a place to eat.”

We go to the food court, and there are 50 million teenagers there, young parents with screaming brats, and my unwillingness to go there.

“I really don’t wish to stand on this line.” I offered.

“Me too, do you want to try the Nordstrom Café, that man was pushing?”

Off we go, and who is at the entrance but the kindly man, who immediately recognizes us.

“Oh, so you decided to come! Let me show you our whole menu.” He instructs his help to give us a sample of the soup of the day, go through the menu and tells us his favorites. I’m beginning to get nervous that time will run out and we will have to buy dinner before he finished telling us how wonderful things are.

“Now you select here at the counter, pay for it, and one of our top-notch servers will take care of you. As we give the order to the young lady behind the counter, she keeps commenting: “Nice!”

We get a table, the waiter comes over and introduces himself, and reads what we ordered and comments: “Nice” Everything we did was nice. I asked for water to drink, and he thought it was nice too. It’s nice when you do nice.

Well, with all the looking, discussion on what she needs, what she wants and what she will settle for we come upon this dress. It is plum, long and she looks very elegant in it.

“Wow, you look good in it!” I say.

“But I don’t like the waist, it looks too gathered. Besides the color is too wintery!”

“Wintery? It won’t snow if you wear it, unless it is January and not July!”

“I think we will try the bridal shop in Bay Shore next weekend, Kim said her mother …”

Please someone, shoot me.

1 comment:

pamela said...

My advice to The Father of the Groom and Husband of the Groom's Mother would be...Don't stop the parade to pick up a dime!