Sunday, June 17, 2012

FATHER’S DAY


Growing up in my household of sisters, who seemed to appear every so many years, there was always the constant, Dad. Dad was the final say, although he did it quietly, not pounding the table, always relying on Mom to make decisions. He probably would have made a great CEO, always delegating authority and decision-making.

Mom ruled with an iron hand, which was holding a wooden spoon, and Dad was the court of appeals and the execution squad, it seemed to work. Process was simple in dad’s eyes: do what your mother tells you, or else. Two big words: ‘Or’ and of course: ‘Else’. “You better” were close behind.

Mom was fiscally tight, as so was Dad, but you could worm small change off of him, and usually was very good at giving us what we wanted within reason.

When it came to Father’s Day, we all made sure to be there for the day, Dad was important. He was important because he was very simple, not complicated in his life. Basic rules made for a basic understanding, and no one could say they didn’t understand. He didn’t like vulgarity, was friendly but shy, and always respected the people that were down the most, because he felt they had the toughest job: making their life and their families, better.

His work ethic was to drive himself to doing the job in a dedicated fashion, do it on time, doing it right. He gave all and that he expected from all us, nothing less.

Family was very important to him: he needed to have all his children and grandchildren around him. He was happiest on Christmas Eve, sitting around a huge table, filled with good food and his family.

It is all these traditions he gave us, that define who we really are! I never realized how important his role was, how he welded a family of siblings that still love each other, still care about one another and will go to great lengths to do and support one another, both in good times and bad. If someone had a problem then we all had a problem, it was a family problem.

I celebrate Father’s day because he was an important part of my life, he didn’t really give me anything of monetary worth, but he gave me a sense of values, of which money was the least, but love of family was the most.

Thanks Dad, because of you I have a wonderful family of sisters and wife and kids, some wonderful friends and acquaintances.

And there are other fathers out there. Some dads are struggling without jobs, taking a psychological as well as financial beating, some have lost a child or their child is sick, some are raising their families without a wife. To you all I salute you, I hope from this day forward you have nothing but peace and happiness, and I wish you one more thing. I wish you what I have, an experience of great joy and pride in all my children. I know when one of them calls Dad, it feels so good, even if they are in need, the joy transcends the tribulations of being a good father. I know I have tried very hard to be a good father: sometimes I wonder at how well they turned out and realize they are a 2-part job, mine and TLW’s (The Little Woman’s).

My daughter loves me: that I know, because she knows I love her. My sons should never question that. I will always be there for them. I hope they never ever need me, but when they do they not hesitate to call me.

So Happy Father’s day to Dad, my father-in-law Jim, my brothers-in-law and all my nephews who are fathers and to my friends that are called Dad.



No comments: