Friday, June 29, 2012

POOLING MY PATIENCE


Every year the pool gets opened by a company that comes, takes away the cover, checks for the chemicals, adds what is needed attaches the water circulator and pump. We have a new one that needs very little attention as far as backwashing goes. The company sets it up and checks the filter, etc. and then a few days later comes and does a power vacuum.  

JUMP RIGHT IN IF YOU AGREE OR NOT
Monday: June 25ft and the worst rainstorms we have had hit, flash flooding was occurring everywhere and in my back yard my pool was about to be over-flowing. I decided I would backwash the pool to let out some of the water and went out to the pool pump to turn the valve. TLW (The Little Woman) had tried previously to no avail and called me. The rain was coming down in torrents and the thunder and lighting were going on continuously. I decided that since I couldn’t do anything with the valve under those conditions, I would take out my small pump that I use for the top of the cover when the pool is closed and use that. I attach it to the hose and toss it into the pool and start to set up the hose when TLW informs me that the pump connection is broken!

Now I have no way to lose the water, so TLW asks me to take apart the small pump and give her the parts she needs to replace and goes to the store to purchase them.

I call the Pool Company and ask for help. I am told there is no one available since the heavy rains has sent everyone home. I get a little angry because they set up the valve and now it doesn’t work! She finds some help and says that what I should do is loosen the ring in front of it and then open the valve then close the opened ring and backwash. I thank her and go out and try. The ring is as stuck as the valve.

I call the pool people again the next day, a Tuesday and explain the situation.

“Well sir, we can’t send anyone out until Thursday!”
“THIS IS TUESDAY, YOU ARE GOINGTO MAKE ME WAIT UNTIL THURSDAY! I paid for the service of opening up the pool, and I paid for the power vac, just as you asked, and now I WANT IT TO WORK, TODAY!” I had yelled but I was furious and wasn’t about to be put aside after I pay for something.

“Let me get in touch with the boss and he will call you.”

All too often we are at the mercy of companies when we need them. The set the rules take it or leave it, and I guess business is business. However, once we play by the rules I make sure: everyone follows the rules. The boss calls and I explain the situation.

“Well I’m on my way to Nassau County right now, I could come by maybe tomorrow.”

“If you can’t come by today, then don’t bother at all, I paid for a service I am not getting, I’ll get someone else who will be willing to service my pool.”

“I’ll be there by 5:30 today.”

I don’t think I was being unreasonable, if they don’t check their work, I am not responsible, and won’t tolerate poor service.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

You went "all Brooklyn" on them and finally got what you paid for. Sad what passes for service these days.