Wednesday, June 27, 2012

SHARING MY RANT


My good blog buddy Jim Pantaleno from the hood in Brooklyn recently wrote a blog that is a pet peeve of mine also. http://jpantaleno.blogspot.com/

 

On Monday, January 31, 2011, Thursday, April 07, 2011 and Monday, September 05, 2011, I wrote about the same issue. What Jim has to say is true, and maybe it’s a common malady for guys from Brooklyn in the Bushwick section, but it is true. Usually I like to complain in general, not be too specific, but this one weather guy is really annoying me to the point of distraction. I know I shouldn’t get worked up over it, and just watch another show, but the rest of the newscast and newscasters are good.

 

The yard bird I am complaining about is John Elliot, who when he appears somehow thinks he is the star of the show. His job is simple, do the weather and get out. No background music, no stupid jokes, and no appearance longer than is necessary.

 

What does he do, he apes in front of the camera, does these body gyrations and mugs and just annoys me. They have this cooking segment where a chef cooks up a dish and the crew comes out to taste it. He comes out and my skin crawls, why? I DON’T KNOW! Maybe I think that I should be getting just what I want: the weather.

 

Look, everyone is entitled to wake up in a bad mood once in a while. When you go to get gas, the attendant  should open the tank, put in the gas and ask for the money and say: “dank kew” and you drive away, not “Good morning, birthday wishes are in order for Tina Marie Jablonski on Union Avenue and Aldo Shabrudder from Rowe Avenue is 84 years young today!” Shaking his head from side to side he then asks ”Will you be gassing up with us today?”


Then there are the alarmists. You know the guys reporting the rain isn’t enough: it comes with dire predictions of death, famine and drought, not to mention bad times and pestilence.  The crawl across the screen comes in bold white letters on a red background warning of severe thunderstorms.

Jim is right, the old days you got the weather, no less accurate, less dramatically, and you took your chances.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Thanks for the plug Joe. Just a note, anyone following the link Joe posted will get directed to my most recent blog. The one Joe refers to is the one after that...just scroll down. Thanks.