Saturday, October 25, 2014

THE LADY BANKER (WANNA-BE)


There are all kinds of stories that pour forth when I ask TLW (The Little Woman) what kind of day she had when we are at suppertime. There are stories of happy events and favorite people who come in from time to time and like to deal with her, and there are stories about frustration and sometimes even a hint of anger.

I think of these stories she relates as Life’s Lessons, to be valued and understood and even to call upon if I’m ever in the Wanna-Be-Bank a Truss Co. There are things like:

1.     Never come in at 4:30 pm
2.     Try not to open a debit card
3.     Be prepared with all the paper work
4.     Don’t dare come in near her lunch hour

These are important rules and should be followed for a happy experience at the Wanna-Be-Bank & Truss Co.

The other night she “Had a young man come in” as she puts it and he wanted to open up some kind of account. It may have been a checking account and she told him he had to put a dollar into it to open it. He had no cash. This ‘Young man’ was walking around with NO CASH in his pocket and I could immediately see his wanting to be in a bank. TLW said nothing but reached in her drawer where she extricated one whole dollar that she found on her desk one day and didn’t know who it belonged to. You see, if it were me, and I found the dollar, under the same circumstances, it would have gone into my wallet! Chances are it might not come out in my lifetime, but in it would have gone in.

The ‘Young man’ never even said thank you as she laid out the buck for him, and she admonished him in silence for him, but not for me, I heard about it. Returning a few weeks later, once again in front of TLW he never offered to return the dollar, as he finished off his previous visit with her.

Then she went into another story I found interesting. It seems this elderly lady “about our age” as she put it was going to put $2,100 into her son and daughter-in-law’s account. There some kind of complications and she said…

Her: “So what do you think I did?”
Me: “Reach into your drawer and give her $2,100?”

The importance here is she gives me a blow-by-blow accounting of the transaction, complete with the type of account it is, leaving nothing to my imagination when it comes to the interesting world of banking, or in this case, Wanna-Be- banking. She has developed a following it seems, people bring her presents, books for me to read, yes, I even make friends with them, and candy and food. One night she came home with these bars of soap all arranged on a rack that looked like a display case on the back of my upstairs toilet! Her co-workers refuse to allow her to retire because she is their spiritual and moral leader, old pro and draws a lot of food. It’s good in the Wanna-Be-Bank & Truss Co!







Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
BAZINGA!

No comments: