Wednesday, October 08, 2014

SOME HABITS I DON’T FIGURE


One of us is going to Heaven!
On Sunday many years ago I used to take #1 Son to church. He and I would go to the first service or Mass, to get it over with. We felt Sunday was a day off, and if we had to go to church, go to the first Mass and you had the whole day to yourself. TLW (The Little Woman) was a much better prayer than I was, so she would go to a later Mass while I put the time to good use, napping and reading the paper. But one of the things I would notice and never understood was the congregation had some people who couldn’t sit down. No, they would line the walls and stand in the back of the church, while all these seats were available. Prime seats no less, so close you could see up the priests nose. Yes, field level box seats we are talking. You were close enough to heckle the priest if you wanted.

As we past the vestibule, #1 and I would take a quick glance and see if there was any suit standing around. This meant that if there was, we would sneak out early, because right after the Mass, there would be  some kind of appeal, delaying the end of the Mass somewhat. So we would leave when the priest was the most occupied, giving out free communion wafers.

Let us pray!
The other evening I had to appear at: ‘Open School Night’ at the agency’s Sieff Center for children with developmental disabilities. My job was to get people to sign up for membership in the agency and to do that: I had to give a speech of sorts. Waiting in the wings, I was introduced and had to get to the podium, and so I tried. It seemed that half the people in the audience thought they were in church! I had to squeeze my way through, as they were lined along the walls and crowding the entrance.

I guess they were waiting for me, a guy in a suit! What goes around comes around!







Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!


No comments: