Sunday, March 01, 2015

I FINALLY COME OUT OF THE CLOSET


So Dave's praying and he prays "God, I've been your loyal servant for all these years - why won't you let me win the lottery! I helped those homeless people, went to church every week for the last 10 years, even when I was sick. But still you don't let me win the lottery!"
And a voice from the Heavens comes down "Dave! Dave! Meet me halfway on this! Buy a lottery ticket!"

I finally came out of the closet, the drawers and even my desk!

Yes an ongoing battle of the home office continues, the valiant fight to eliminate paper, some of it dating to 1994 is ongoing on a few fronts. Hitler fought a war on two fronts and lost, and I’m losing too. My problem lies in the fact that I believe that as soon as you toss it, you will need it.

I mean do I really need a map of Saratoga Springs? When I go to Saratoga, I can get a map from a hotel. Do I need copies of the same info, will one copy disappear and I’ll need another? But won’t it be with the one that disappeared? Do I need TLW (The Little Woman) reminding me that she can’t see the desk?

Then there are scraps of paper, with phone numbers, nothing else, but to whom do the numbers belong? Business records that go way past the statute of Limitations, I am afraid to toss.

Names? I got enough names to start a small city, and I’d need a phone book to list them, because I don’t know whom the heck these people are! Do I throw them away?  NOOOO! They will call me or worse, visit and then what? Nothing, that’s what, but I must hold on to the scraps of paper.

Books, there are so many that I’m not sure if I read them or not. Many are reference books, but toss them? NO WAY!

Now there is the question of an old Rolodex that has addresses from companies I did business with throughout my career. These are businesses that are extinct, as is the thing and service they sold me, or clients that no longer exist. Is it sentimental, is what I do now a sentimental journey?

My dream is to toss everything, lock stock and barrel, but if I do, I just know I’ll need it all, and it will be a hard day. When I die I want everybody as they celebrate, get all that paper and cut it up into little pieces and toss it as confetti.





LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm



DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, you'll feel better organized!

1 comment:

Diana said...

Know what ya mean...."the piles of paper, tucked away....ALL OVER!! LOL!! But I think maybe this could help.........Divide into three piles......1-very important/memories........ 2-bills, receipts, (especially the ones to things u no longer have) anything outdated and useless........... 3-and just plain " don't even remember what this is!" Now u are down to one pile, and you decide through that. It might be a little "breakthrough"! (now if I could get my husband to do it , we'd have more storage space to "save" more stuff!! LOL!!) Good Luck!