Tuesday, January 30, 2018

AN OLDTIMER


Being nearly 100-years old, I went with my youngest son when he was home recently to the mall. He needed a car to shop for some clothes and I needed to get out of the house, so this was an opportunity to do both for us. 

Going to the mall on a Saturday afternoon can be a minor adventure, the crowds are large, the teens and young children are considerable and my patience is not.

Think of this, there were English-speaking children, Spanish-speaking children and Asian-speaking children at the mall, all clinging to mommy, running loose and whining within earshot, bringing an annoying cacophony of noise swirling around my head. You must deal with Cinnabun, pretzels, Starbucks and PJ Chang all leaving their aromatic footprints around the mall, and the urges that overcome as you fight to ignore what I used to succumb to.

Getting into the store and going to the men's department, I was shocked to see what is passing for style these days. Whatever happened to the sharpness of well-pressed shirts with button collars, jackets with lapels that were sharp, crisp and pressed? The styles are very disappointing if you are a conservative dresser.

Men's clothing has taken a back seat to nasty looking style. Now almost everything seems to be a used look. Men roll up their jacket sleeves and shirts, untucked and as sloppy-looking as possible. Some have hair combs like they got out of bed and just sprayed what mess-like results they got from sleeping under a pillow all night!

They now wear brown shoes with no socks to match their jeans, and this is acceptable. The fashion statement is the dress for going back to bed and just climbing in. One shirt was decorated with red roses up and down the sleeves and front of the garment!

The good news is that I saw a baseball jacket I wore back in the 1950's that is making a comeback! Took me back to the days when men wore men's clothes and not like today, where if you wore what they are wearing today in my day, you would have been taken aside by someone's parents, hugged, fed, and be fussed about as a poor child!

No comments: